Join the Top Real Estate Team in Bradenton!

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

What Basketball Taught Me About Team Building



In our business, the difference between winning and losing boils down to the kind of people that we have around us.


Do you have the right people around you?

I started thinking about this topic just the other day as I was coaching one of my son’s basketball teams. I have two sons, and I’ve been coaching both of their teams for years now. I’ve tried to step back a couple times, but every time I do, something pulls me back in. Some of these teams I’ve won championships with. Some I went winless with.

A couple of weeks ago while I was watching my younger son’s team play, I started to think about how this ties into real estate. You see, my son’s team is undefeated right now and we have a good shot at a championship. The last couple of years, though, I’ve been the coach of teams that couldn’t scratch together a single win. What causes that kind of disparity?

The more I think about it, the more I realize that it has everything to do with the dynamics of the kids involved. By that I mean the chemistry of the team itself—both how they work together and how they enjoy their time.

What kind of team are you on?

Try and assimilate that logic into what you are doing as an agent. Do you have one of those “fun” teams that does nothing regarding business and instead prioritizes having a good time, or do you have one of those teams where everybody is out there being successful without you to the point that you feel left out?

I think being successful in life means including a little bit of both. We always want to feel like we belong to the group, and real estate is a very lonely business, but we also need to find success. We need to find success not only with our companies, but with our families as well.

As we end 2016 and look forward to 2017, I think you should stop and ask yourself two questions:

  1. Am I achieving the kind of success I want?
  2. How much of that has to do with the people around me?

Is your team friendly but not results-oriented, or are they only results-oriented and unfriendly? In my opinion, it varies all the time, whether it’s coaching basketball or coaching a real estate team. It has everything to do with how we interact with each other, how we enjoy our time, and what our definition of success is.

I hope that at the end of 2016, you can look back and say that you’re 8-0. As we know, it’s not fun to be on the losing side in this business.

If you’re not winning now but you think you have the ability and might just be on the wrong team, I’d love it if you gave me a call or sent me an email. I wish you great success!

No comments :

Post a Comment